Limitation on configuration paths

General discussions about working with the Astrobe IDE and programming ARM Cortex-M0, M3, M4 and M7 microcontrollers.
steve64

Limitation on configuration paths

Post by steve64 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

I just discovered a strange limitation in the number of paths that can be placed in a custom configuration.
It seems that the max number is 5 (last .ini property is LibPathName4).
Is it confirmed ?

Considering that two entries are usually already filled with things like:
%astrobe%\Lib\STM32L152
%astrobe%\Lib\General

only 3 entries would be available for user paths, and this is quite limited...

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Limitation on configuration paths

Post by cfbsoftware » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Yes - the current limit is five. It could easily be increased if there is a good reason to do so. Keep in mind the following:

1. The configuration file is intended to be specific to an application. It is more similar in purpose to the 'project file' of other systems, than the usual configuration file. The fact that one configuration file can be shared by many applications (unlike most project files) is a versatile option not a requirement.

2. A configuration file should be designed to only include the folders that contain modules that *are* used by the application, not those that *might* be used.

3. The 'current folder' is where most of the application-specific files would go. Hence, the total number of separate folders that contain modules used by a single application is six.

Does your question still stand? If so I'd be interested to know the total number of modules you are planning for your application and the strategy you were adopting for distributing those modules across the filesystem.

steve64

Post by steve64 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 am

I would ask just for a few more paths, like total 8 or 10.
I would exploit this only for modules really used by a specific application, in order
to support multiple configurations since modules are not parameterized
and Oberon does not provide a preprocessor.

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:27 am

Ok - fair enough - thanks for the feedback. It's now on the list of things to do ...