Terminal enhancements

General discussions about working with the Astrobe IDE and programming ARM Cortex-M0, M3, M4 and M7 microcontrollers.
steve64

Terminal enhancements

Post by steve64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:31 am

Please consider the following enhancements to Astrobe Terminal:
* option flag to clean the Output panel whenever a new execution starts again
* option to hide the Input panel (in many use case is not used) and/or to define its height

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Terminal enhancements

Post by cfbsoftware » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:34 am

Thank you for your suggestions. The second option is already possible if I understand you correctly. There is a splitter bar at the bottom edge of the output screen that you can click on to adjust the relative sizes of the Output and Input screens. You can reduce the input screen to a minimum size of 1 row. However, once you have adjusted the splitter bar to give you the size of the Output screen that you want, you can then reduce the overall of the terminal window by dragging the top or bottom edge until the input screen disappears altogether. Whatever changes you make are remembered and used the next time you open Astrobe.

steve64

Post by steve64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:12 pm

I tried the splitter and resizing, but the final customized settings do not seem to be always
properly restored when I reopen the terminal window or the IDE again.

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm

The latest settings are stored in the Windows registry when you close Astrobe:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cfb\AstrobeM3

e.g. TerminalHeight, Terminalleft etc. Is there any reason why these registry settings might not be written or read reliably on your system?

I've tried a few different ways to make it misbehave but haven't been able to detect a problem yet. All I can think of is if you opened a couple of Astrobe sessions the last one you closed would have its settings saved.

Other than that, if you can let us know a sequence of steps that consistently fails we can investigate further.

steve64

Post by steve64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

I can see all the TerminalXXX properties with regedit inside Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cfb\AstrobeM7
However, the issue is still there while a bit unpredictable.
Sometimes position and size are preserved, sometimes the width is automatically increased, sometimes the height
is automatically increased (going out of screen).
However, I can't easily find a repeatable sequence leading to a predictable behavior.
Both the M3 and M7 versions have same issue.

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:07 am

steve64 wrote: * option flag to clean the Output panel whenever a new execution starts again
The Output panel should be cleared when you click on the Reset button on the Astrobe Terminal. Is that not happpening?

However, if you do a manual reset the screen won't be cleared. The Terminal program is unable to distinguish between a manual reset or a pause in output.

steve64

Post by steve64 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 am

Ok, I confirm that:
- the Output panel is cleared when I click on the Reset button on the Astrobe Terminal
- manual reset does not clear the screen