RISC5 Oberon on the $99 Arty Artix 7 FPGA Development Board

General discussions about using the Astrobe IDE to program the FPGA RISC5 cpu used in Project Oberon 2013
cfbsoftware
Site Admin

RISC5 Oberon on the $99 Arty Artix 7 FPGA Development Board

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:35 pm

We have now successfully ported the RISC5 processor to Digilent's latest Arty development board which uses the Xilinx ArtixR-7 35T FPGA device and retails at $US 99.

We are planning to support our 'Embedded' version of Project Oberon (i.e. not the full 'Workstation' version) running in the internal BRAM on the FPGA device on this board. For more information on the Embedded and Workstation Project Oberon systems that can be used with the Astrobe IDE and to register your details to be notified when the Arty-targeted version is available go to:

http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: RISC5 Oberon on the $99 Arty Artix 7 FPGA Development Bo

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 am

Astrobe for RISC5 Oberon which targets the Digilent Artix-7 Arty FPGA Development Board has now been released.

For more details and to find out how to get a free copy go to:

Helpdesk

Post by Helpdesk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 am

I would like to test Astrobe for FPGA RISC5 Embedded Version.

Therefore I want to buy Artix-7 (I have already the OberonStation). On your webpage I saw the link for the Artix-7 35T Arty FPGA Evaluation Kit

Should I order just this Artix-7 35T Arty FPGA Evaluation Kit? Do I need something else?

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:35 am

Yes - that is the board to buy. You will also need:
  • A MicroSD card socket / breakout board
  • A means of connecting the card MicroSD socket to the Arty.
  • A 2GB or higher MicroSDHC card
  • Software to copy our Embedded Project Oberon disk image to the MicroSDHC card.
  • A Micro USB cable to connect the USB port of the Arty to the PC.
You will need a good Internet connection to download the Vivado design software (8GB ISO DVD image).

I am currently investigating SD Card socket options e.g. a six-pin adapter which will enable you to plug the board directly into a Pmod socket. I'll post more information here as and when I know more.

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 pm

cfbsoftware wrote:I am currently investigating SD Card socket options e.g. a six-pin adapter which will enable you to plug the board directly into a Pmod socket. I'll post more information here as and when I know more.
The perfect solution is now available thanks to the work of one of our Astrobe users: the Micro SD Adapter for Xilinx ARTY FPGA Evaluation Kit. I have updated the Arty ProjectOberon Verilog files so that the adapter can be used with embedded ProjectOberon 'out of the box'. If you want to use this version register your details here: