Can I use a USB keyboard with Embedded Project Oberon?

General discussions about using the Astrobe IDE to program the FPGA RISC5 cpu used in Project Oberon 2013
Helpdesk

Can I use a USB keyboard with Embedded Project Oberon?

Post by Helpdesk » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:57 am

Is it possible to attach and read in a USB keyboard directly when using Embedded Project Oberon on a Nexys A7 board?

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Can I use a USB keyboard with Embedded Project Oberon?

Post by cfbsoftware » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 am

Embedded Project Oberon was designed to be remotely controlled with all of the user interface on the PC. I can't envisage how it might work with the keyboard being isolated from the mouse and display.

The question is more appropriate to Project Oberon Workstation. This handles all of the keyboard, mouse and display UI on the Nexys A7 board itself and just uses a PC to transfer files. When using this system you can attach a PS/2 compatible keyboard and mouse directly to the Nexys A7 using Digilent Pmod PS2: Keyboard / Mouse Connectors:

https://digilent.com/shop/pmod-ps2-keyb ... connector/

Unfortunately, we have not been able to get USB keyboards and mice that claim to be PS/2 compatible (or using USB -> PS/2 cables or adapters) to work reliably.

However, recently we had some good results when experimenting with a RP2040-based solution. This would allow a wireless USB keyboard and mouse combination to be used with Project Oberon Workstation on the Arty A7 and Nexys A7 boards. Watch this forum for more details to come.