Further revision of Oberon-07

Topics related to the use of Oberon language features
augustk

Re: Further revision of Oberon-07

Post by augustk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 am

If the path in your example is to be exported as a constant, say, it gets a bit more involved if we decide to add quotes. A module like

Code: Select all

MODULE M;

CONST path* = "C:\temp\";

END M.
will turn into something like this:

MODULE M;

CONST quotes = 22X;

VAR path: ARRAY 10 OF CHAR;

PROCEDURE GetPath*(VAR out: ARRAY OF CHAR);
	BEGIN
		COPY(path, out)
	END GetPath;

BEGIN
	path := " C:\temp\ ";
	path[0] := quotes;
	foo[9] := quotes
END M.
It is unfortunate that character array variables cannot be exported.

kevinhely

Post by kevinhely » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, I'm afraid I'm not convinced that the example you gave justifies the assertion that
That 'solution' creates more problems than it solves.
The "escaping" use of the backslash character is well-established and has certainly never caused me any difficulties in path name processing in C or Java (e.g. in the compilers I've written). I understood the string you'd written in your example straight away (as I'm sure any competent C/Java programmer would). However, with the single-quote string delimiters, the code of your example would have been simpler and clearer.

I applaud the simplification achieved by the elimination of "character constants" but eliminating single-quote delimiters was unnecessarily parsimonious. (Perhaps they'll return in a later revision ;) )

Regards,
K.

augustk

Post by augustk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 pm

i would vote for the introduction of a predefined procedure for (compile-time) string concatenation. This function procedure (with a variable number of parameters) could be named UNION. With this minimal addition to the language all strings can be represented. Like kevinhely, I would also like to see the reintroduction of single quotes. The constant declaration in my previous example can then be written like this:

path* = UNION('"', "C:\temp\", '"')

kevinhely

Post by kevinhely » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:00 pm

With single quotes, your code can be

path* = '"C:\temp\"'
:)

augustk

Post by augustk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

OK, you got me, but I am sure you get my point. With the compile-time concatenation procedure all strings can be represented, just as all representable booleans, numbers and sets can be denoted by constant literals. It is a matter of completeness.

kevinhely

Post by kevinhely » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Sure. :)

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:27 am

augustk wrote:It is unfortunate that character array variables cannot be exported.
Export of record and array variables in read-only mode was implemented in v5.1 of Astrobe following the changes in revision Rev 1.10.2013 / 10.03.2014 of the Oberon Language Report.