Oberon running on Cortex-M3

General discussions about working with the Astrobe IDE and programming ARM Cortex-M0, M3, M4 and M7 microcontrollers.
cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Oberon running on Cortex-M3

Post by cfbsoftware » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:44 am

This afternoon we have successfully used Astrobe to develop and run our first Oberon program (Blinker, of course!) on an ARM Cortex-M3 MCU.

The Embedded Artists LPC1343 you can see in the photo may well be the smallest dev board that an Oberon program has ever run on:

http://www.astrobe.com/images/LPC1343.jpg

The LPC1343 microcontroller is available from EA for EU 16.90:

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products ... 43_qsb.php

One particularly interesting feature of the LPC1343 MCU is that when you plug it into a PC's USB port it appears as a Flash drive on your PC called 'CRP DISABLD:'. To upload your prorgam to the MCU, all you need to do is name your bin file 'Firmware.bin' and 'drag and drop' it to the drive.

We also ran the program on an Embedded Artists LPC1343 LPCXpresso board mounted on an LPCXpresso Base Board. This can also be programmed the traditional way via a USB-COM port connection:

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpcxpresso

The source code of the program and executable file is attached. Watch out for further developments ...
Attachments
BlinkerM3.zip
Cortex-M3 Blinker source code and executable
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 1053 times

Helpdesk

Re: Oberon running on Cortex-M3

Post by Helpdesk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:11 am

Congratulations! And when I can successfully use of Astrobe to develop and run Oberon programs on an ARM Cortex-M3 MCU? :-)

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 am

We are still on track (despite the temporary diversion to implement the changes caused by the 2011 revision of Oberon) to our August 2011 announcement:

"Q2 2012 or possibly Q1 2012 if everything goes as planned"

kpmy

Post by kpmy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm

After few days of usage I found that there is no other way to upload binary to board except of connecting it as a Windows removable drive. I tried to connect my UART-controller's DTR and RDS pins direct to those board pins (GPIO2_0 and GPIO1_5) that are described in board manual, and there were no result.

I don't know is there any opportunity to make Astrobe work through ARM-JTAG-related hardware, and it is no easy way for me to pushcharse it. May be I just need to buy some other board, may be from Embedded Artists or smth.

However, the code works on this board and I hope that some not ISP-related interfaces, like i2c and other will work fine with my oberon code.
Amature Oberon, but poor English :(

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:08 am

First of all check that you can communicate with your board via UART0 when running a program e.g. the Info example supplied with Astrobe.

If that works OK then when you want to upload a binary to an LPC1343 MCU via UART0 you need to ensure there is a LOW level during reset at both the PIO0_1 pin (to start the ISP command handler) AND the PIO0_3 pin (to use the UART0 interface instead of USB).

Refer to Chapter 21 LPC13xx Flash memory programming firmware in the LPC1311/13/42/43 User Manual (UM10375) for more information.