Cortex-M4 targets - Atmel

General discussions about working with the Astrobe IDE and programming ARM Cortex-M0, M3, M4 and M7 microcontrollers.
Selectech

Cortex-M4 targets - Atmel

Post by Selectech » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:10 pm

For now I will be doing my testing with LPC4088, however final product may use something like an Atmel SAM4S2BB or Atmel SAM4S16 { Cortex-M4 } for a hard real-time application that needs floating point and a small physical footprint.

Is there a convenient way for me to create and add extra Cortex-M4's or easily migrate compiled code to such other platforms. Getting the compiled code onto bare platforms is not a problem for me.

We have a number of target Cortex-M4 devices that may want to test with & evaluate. This is a new instrumentation product and are heavily integrating what's available in various M4's into to total design using minimal other support devices, so picking the right M4 is critical. The LPC4088 development board is fine for initial evaluation but need to get much smaller physical footprint and pinout for final choices.

Programming in this environment is so clear and refreshing compared to other IDEs. I got the Astrobe tools on Friday night and got more done in 1 day with these tools than a month of some other toolsets & tool chains.

Cheers,
Dave

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Cortex-M4 targets - Atmel

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:02 am

We are planning to introduce a Developer Edition which will include all the features of the Professional Edition with some additional extras. One of these will be the source code of the command-line linker. This will enable you to customise it to suit the memory maps, interrupt vector locations and any other linker-related incompatibilities of non-NXP Cortex-M3 / Cortex-M4 targets.

As well as making changes to the linker you would, at least, also need to:
  • Use the manufacturer's or a 3rd party tool to enable you to upload your software to the microcontroller
  • Rewrite MCU.mod and port any of the target-specific runtime libraries that you need to use to work with your target

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Cortex-M4 targets - Atmel

Post by cfbsoftware » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:42 am

Further investigation has led us to abandon this idea and take a different approach.