Linker file

Topics related to the use of Oberon language features
anitasure123

Linker file

Post by anitasure123 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 am

Hello there,
What is the linker file extension for Oberon language? If you have a sample of linker script, Please send the script. If this linker script matches with our target environment, we will move to premium version of Oberon.

regards
Anita

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Re: Linker file

Post by cfbsoftware » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:39 am

Astrobe doesn't need any 'linker scripts'. The information necessary to link Oberon modules together is contained in the source code. i.e. the IMPORT statements and the items (constants, types, variables and procedures) marked for export. This information is stored in the object files (*.arm) when they are compiled. The process is documented in Chapter 24 Import and Export and Chapter 25 Loading and Linking of the paper titled An Oberon Compiler for the ARM Processor. You can download a copy from the Oberon page of Prof Niklaus Wirth's website

anitasure123

Post by anitasure123 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 am

Hello,

I would like to load my code from address say 0X10000H, is it possible in astrobe. If yes let me know the procedure or else suggest me some link.

Thanks
Anita

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:02 pm

No - it is not currently possible. If you can tell me why you want to load your code from an address other than zero I might be able to help you.

anitasure123

Post by anitasure123 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:46 am

Hello,

I am doing this because, as flash memory is limited for starter edition, so using IAP commands i want to extend the flash download capacity.

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:58 am

There seems to be some misunderstanding - there are NO limits on flash memory for the Starter edition. You can confirm this by comparing the differences between each Edition in the Feature Matrix

If you want to make use of the spare flash memory that is not used by your application you can use the IAP commands to write to the memory above your application instead of below it. The map file will show you where the free memory is.

anitasure123

Post by anitasure123 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 am

Hello,

How can i get to know from .map file from which location memory is free? and suggest me some example programmes to make use of spare flash memory written using IAP commands.

Please reply,

Thanks
Anita Sure

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:32 am

The used ROM starts at address 0. The map file shows Total ROM Used. The first free memory follows immediately after that.

The procedure FillLastSector in the IAPDemo module in the Astrobe General Examples folder shows how to write data to Flash memory.

anitasure123

Post by anitasure123 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 am

HI,
Thanks for your reply.
But this is the scenario,
I am looking for field upgrading of my oberon app for this, I intended to run always a small monitor program which detects if their is SD card inserted and if the card has .bin file.If so i would like to read the .bin file and program the flash with line new code startup from a known location & then start executing file new code from the known location. To achieve this I need to relocate my oberon app to a location which is different from default 0x000...
So how can i achieve this in Astrobe.
Please reply,

Thanks
Anita

cfbsoftware
Site Admin

Post by cfbsoftware » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 am

There is no way currently to easily do what you want to do in Astrobe. However, following the knowledge gained recently in our work on Astrobe for RISC5 FPGA we are considering features such as this for a future release of Astrobe.

If you need this capability urgently contact support@cfbsoftware.com. We may be able to offer you a quotation to do the work as a custom project rather than you having to wait for when it is included in a general release.